Dogs are at risk from house fires, accidents in the kitchen, for example from boiling water or hot oil, but also from electric shock, for example when puppies gnaw at live cables.
With minor burns, the skin turns red and the hair is scorched or scalded. If the exposure to heat is greater, blisters form, including extensive loss of the epidermis and charred edges. Electric shock burns have a bright center with a reddened edge.
Immediately flush the affected parts of the body with cold running water for 20 minutes. Open wounds should then be covered with sterile gauze bandages or a fresh towel. Do not apply burn ointment, but take the dog to the vet. Large-scale burns have a poor prognosis, as complications from the loss of fluid and the inflammatory reaction of the skin can still occur after days.
Do not leave dogs alone in the kitchen when the stove or deep fryer is on. Cover live cables or spray them with a bitter-tasting spray. When grilling, keep the grate out of the dog’s reach.