The problem of acquiring clothes for four-legged pets becomes more and more urgent with the onset of the autumn-winter period.
The use of special clothing causes a huge amount of conflicting opinions. Some breeders are sure that their dog does not need such a luxury and consider overalls and boots to be a clear excess. And other owners adhere to the belief that clothes for their pets are an irreplaceable thing and with special love they select new wardrobe items.
Who is right and whose point of view is more relevant at the present time?
- Why dress dogs
- What kind of dogs need clothes in winter <
- What kind of clothes does a dog need?
- How to find clothes for your dog
- Does the dog need shoes
Why dress dogs
So, let’s take a look at the purpose for which dog clothes are used. There are several main reasons to visit a specialist boutique:
- Beauty and style. This goal is quite justified for decorative breeds that accompany their owners to social events or holidays. Shop and boutique shelves offer a huge range of stylish and colorful dog clothes. You can buy funny jumpsuits or jackets as well as ball gowns, shirts or carnival costumes. It all depends on the owner’s imagination and preferences.
- For additional protection of your pet from the adverse effects of low temperatures. Not all dogs tolerate being outdoors well during the walk. An increasing number of pets are moving to permanent maintenance in an apartment, therefore they need protection and heating at the time of walking.
- Protection against dirt and moisture. Overalls and jackets with pants are indispensable for walking after the rain.
It is important: it should be clearly understood that stylish clothes for short-term appearances and walking models for outdoor activities will fundamentally differ not only in cut, but also in materials used.
Do I need to dress a dog in winter
To answer this question, you need to figure out which dogs need additional clothing and which do not.
For example, for representatives of northern breeds (huskies, huskies, St. Bernards, Moscow watchdogs, as well as Newfoundlands, Chow Chows and many others), the purchase of walking overalls and insulated wardrobe items is completely unnecessary.
These animals have a thick coat and are ideally adapted to harsh winters. Even a long walk will not cause hypothermia and will not lead to illness of a pet with a normal level of immune system functioning.
You may be interested in our article on whether dogs get cold in winter.
You can also refuse to purchase clothing for pets of aviary content if they have a thick coat.
In the southern regions, cold winters are rare, so pets can easily tolerate a temporary cold snap. And the installation of an insulated booth will be a good help for the dog.
What kind of dogs need clothes in winter
Not every pet needs protective or warm clothing. If the dog lives permanently in an aviary or on the street, then his body gradually adapts to changing weather conditions. The animal grows a thick undercoat, adaptation processes are launched and metabolism is activated. Thanks to this, the dog tolerates the cold months calmly.
But why do experts and experienced dog handlers recommend dressing some dogs in winter? The category of four-legged pets in need of additional protection include:
- Representatives of breeds with short legs… These are Pekingese, Japanese Chins, Dachshunds, etc. During a long walk, the pet’s belly and chest are in close proximity to wet or frozen ground. The result is hypothermia.
- Hunting dogs… In particular, cops and greyhounds. These animals are characterized by a thin skin, thanks to which the body provides optimal heat transfer during a fast and long run. But the same mechanism serves the pet a disservice in the winter when walking on a leash. High heat transfer rates lead to rapid hypothermia.
- Representatives of hairless breeds, in particular – the Chinese crested dog and the Xoloitzicuintle. Their homeland was warm countries, so the lack of wool did not cause negative consequences. In our harsh climate, such pets simply cannot fully enjoy a walk in snowy or windy weather at low temperatures. But this is exactly what winter happens in the vastness of Russia.
- Decorative dog breeds… They were artificially bred and are distinguished by the absence of a thick undercoat that reliably protects against wind and cold. Therefore, in this case, the use of warm overalls and other wardrobe items is mandatory.
- Aging pets or lactating bitches… Both those and others have a reduced level of immunity and need additional protection from frost. In elderly individuals, circulatory disorders are noted, which leads to a rapid decrease in body temperature in the limbs, ears, and tail. The result is increased sensitivity to cold or frostbite.
Our article will be useful to you: Frostbite in dogs. Signs, first aid, treatment
It is important: we should not forget that weakened or sick pets need additional protection. They have a decrease in the functioning of the immune system and weakness. This leads to rapid hypothermia and the development of various complications.
What kind of clothes does a dog need?
On the shelves of veterinary pharmacies, specialty boutiques or small pet stores, there is a wide range of warm and practical winter wardrobe items for a four-legged pet.
Experienced dog handlers claim that the minimum wardrobe for walking in the cold season includes:
- Warm jumpsuit… An alternative could be a warm coat or a fur coat. But the latter options work well for small dogs.
- Windbreaker, made on the basis of a soft lining. It reliably protects against gusts of wind, and a soft lining prevents tangling of long pet hair. High-quality products do not cause the development of a paired effect and the pet feels very comfortable.
- Raincoat… Ideal for wet weather. Especially if the owner does not deny his pet an active lifestyle, even in the pouring rain.
- Sweater from natural yarn. You should not give preference to cheaper models made of synthetic materials.
- Light T-shirts… They will be the first layer of clothing for hairless dog breeds. The fabric is breathable and absorbs sweat.
- Pet Shoes… Another very relevant wardrobe item for urban pets.
It is important: clothes made of quality materials and correctly selected in accordance with the weather conditions will make the walking process not only fun, but also safe for the health of the animal.
How to find clothes for your dog
Choosing clothes for dogs requires some knowledge. Veterinarians recommend adhering to simple rules when choosing:
- The size… Ask a shop assistant to help you get the right size for your pet. A jumpsuit that is too tight or too small will hinder movement. And excessively loose models can shift during the walk and also cause inconvenience.
- Clasps and fasteners should be located in the region of the spine. This makes the dressing process easier, and the zippers and buttons do not cause discomfort during an active walk.
- Materials (edit)… Experts advise to give preference to natural or high-tech fabrics. The use of poor quality materials in the manufacture of clothing for dogs leads to the formation of a greenhouse effect, overheating of the pet or hypothermia of the body.
- Decorations… Their number should be minimal. It is important to understand that for long-haired breeds, the presence of rhinestones on the collar will inevitably lead to tangled hairs.
- Quick drying of the material… Most suits and overalls need to be washed after every time they go out. Therefore, the clothes should dry within a few hours.
Sweaters and knitted suits are not suitable for long-haired breeds. The pet’s coat gets confused, and the appearance of static electricity is unlikely to please the dog.
Careful study of the presented models and a scrupulous selection will allow you to purchase the perfect winter clothing for any pet.
Does the dog need shoes
Most veterinarians and experienced dog handlers answer this question in the affirmative. Boots, sneakers or other shoe options are indispensable for the inhabitants of large cities. In cities, utilities are increasingly sprinkling streets with various chemicals that prevent ice from forming on sidewalks. But these compounds have a negative effect on the paw pads of animals, as well as on the condition of the coat and skin.
The ideal solution for protecting the paws of a four-legged pet will be the use of high-quality and comfortable shoes. It will reliably protect the paw pads from exposure to reagents and prevent chemical burns.
An important factor will be the prevention of cuts on the paw pads. Not all urban dwellers strive to maintain cleanliness and throw glassware in the designated place. Shards of bottles pose a serious danger to walking dogs. And boots or sneakers will provide the necessary level of protection.
Whether to purchase high-quality winter shoes and clothes for your four-legged pet is up to the owner to decide. But it is still worth scrutinizing this issue. Assess the climatic conditions of your region, as well as study the recommendations of veterinarians for the maintenance of a certain breed of dog. This will allow you to make an informed and deliberate decision.