Training the dog: where and who?
02.04.2021
Training with a dog: when, how long & how often?
02.04.2021

Food and plants that are poisonous to the dog

What we like doesn’t have to be good for the dog. It can be very harmful to health and even death. The reason is that dogs metabolize some foods differently than humans. If you suspect that your dog has come into contact with poison or has ingested it, please call the veterinarian immediately – even in the evening or on the weekend.

Poisonous foods – chocolate and Co.

Poisonous foods include chocolate (!), Some types of avocado, grapes and raisins, raw pork and onions of all kinds. Small amounts can, but need not, cause symptoms of poisoning. It always depends on the amount, the body weight of the dog and the dog breed.

Chocolate not only causes unhealthy love handles, but can also cause serious poisoning in four-legged friends. Because cocoa contains theobromine, which is lethal at a dose of 100mg per kg of dog’s body weight. Signs of poisoning occur, however, even with much smaller amounts. Epileptic dogs react particularly violently to the consumption of chocolate. Even a tiny bit can cause severe seizures. In other dogs, snacking leads to the following symptoms after four to twelve hours: restlessness, agitation, vomiting and diarrhea. In addition, there is a strong urge to urinate up to incontinence, muscle tremors, muscle cramps and paralysis of the hindquarters. The death of the animal is caused by a failure of the heart. To make matters worse, dogs excrete theobromine very slowly. If the dog is given a piece of chocolate on a regular basis, theobromine may build up in the body. The higher the cocoa content in a chocolate, the more dangerous it is for four-legged friends!

Read also:  Osteoarthritis disease

In avocados, the ingredient persin is responsible for the symptoms of poisoning. Here too, too high a dose can lead to fatal cardiac insufficiency. Raw pork can contain the human-safe pseudo rage virus, which is fatal to dogs. Large quantities of grapes and raisins can cause acute kidney failure in dogs, which can lead to death. Onions in large quantities, whether raw, cooked or steamed, they all contain the substances allyl propyl disulfide and N-propyl disulfide. These cause the red blood cells to be destroyed and, in the long term, can trigger life-threatening anemia.

Toxic plants

The toxicity of plants is often underestimated. Most dog owners do not know that they have a poisonous plant in their house or garden. The most poisonous plants found in nature include: laburnum, monkshood, foxglove, daphne, boxwood, yew, lily of the valley and oleander. Most of these plants cause severe gastrointestinal irritation, with vomiting and diarrhea. In larger quantities, however, they can also lead to death. You should be careful with the following indoor plants: ivy, philodendron, calla, pot azalea, primroses, dieffenbachia, poinsettia and coral trees.