Buying ammunition is one of the most important issues for the owner. After all, the comfort of the pet and the safety of others directly depends on the quality of the purchased products. Dog handlers remind that the concept of ammunition includes not only a leash and a collar (harness).
A prerequisite for keeping a dog and being with it in public places is also the acquisition of a muzzle.
- Does a dog need a muzzle
- Types of muzzles
- Leather muzzle
- Plastic muzzle
- Nylon muzzle
- Metal muzzle
- Muzzle loop
- Which muzzle to choose
- How to choose the size of the muzzle
Does a dog need a muzzle
Most often, only owners of large dog breeds answer this question in the affirmative. The owners of small four-legged pets believe that it is not necessary for small dogs to wear a muzzle. After all, their favorite is simply “unable to bite.”
But a person does not always understand that a miniature spitz, Japanese chin or Italian greyhound looks harmless for an adult. But for a kid 2-3 years old, this is a dog of impressive size.
There are several reasons to train a dog of all sizes to wear a muzzle calmly. Let’s consider the most important ones:
- Safety of others. Even a miniature pet can, if not bite, then scare a person;
- Dog safety. Using a muzzle during a walk excludes the possibility of picking up food from the ground. It is not a secret for anyone that “doghunters” operate in settlements, who poison dogs, scattering food with poison;
- The comfort of a veterinarian. Most dogs react extremely negatively to the correction of claws, haircuts, as well as other medical manipulations (intramuscular or intravenous injections, cleaning of the anal glands or ears, etc.). The use of a muzzle allows the specialist to work calmly without fear of being bitten;
- The ability to travel with your pet in public transport without conflicts with other passengers.
It is important: The sooner the owner teaches his dog to the muzzle, the easier it is then for an adult animal to endure the need to wear it.
Types of muzzles for dogs
On the shelves of shops and veterinary pharmacies, there is a huge selection of muzzles of domestic or imported production. All models can be roughly divided into several categories. Let’s consider each of them in order to get the most complete understanding of the advantages and disadvantages of each type.
Leather muzzles are more popular for all types of dogs. The model is a mesh of individual strips of leather or leatherette. They have a number of undeniable advantages:
- Low weight;
- Neat appearance;
- Does not impede good ventilation.
Despite the large number of positive qualities, experts recommend taking into account the disadvantages of such products:
Unscrupulous manufacturers use leatherette, as well as dyes and impregnations of poor quality. The pet increases the risk of developing an allergic reaction with constant wearing of such products;
- Weakly holds its shape, the formation of creases is possible;
- Fragility. Leather straps often dry out if stored improperly.
Such models are distinguished by a relatively high price. They can be decorated with rivets or other decorative elements. They are widely used for moving in public transport and for walks.
This product is a lightweight analogue of the metal model. The rods are not made of metal, but plastic. Cynologists advise you to take into account that this product has a number of advantages:
- It excludes the possibility of lifting something from the ground;
- Allows you to water your pet;
- Maintains the required level of ventilation;
- It is lightweight;
- Eliminates the risk of frostbite on lips and nose in frosty weather.
It is believed that this model is ideal for large breeds of dogs. But experts remind that the plastic muzzle has a number of disadvantages:
- Low level of reliability;
- With prolonged exposure to low temperatures, plastic can crack.
Dog handlers advise using a plastic muzzle in the warm season and only for dogs with a calm and balanced character.
One of the most practical options for the safety of the animal and others. It is a wide strip of fabric that is fastened with a fastener. Many manufacturers use a plastic latch because these muzzles are designed for animals with a minimal level of aggression.
The positive qualities of these models include:
- Ease. The product is practically weightless and can be used for a pet of a miniature or decorative dog breed;
- Practicality. The muzzle is well washed and dries quickly;
- Comfort for the dog. Made from lightweight yet durable nylon;
The nylon muzzle also has some disadvantages that should be considered at the time of purchase:
- A low level of ventilation leads to impaired free breathing in hot weather and overheating of the pet;
- Low reliability rates. Dog handlers do not recommend such models for large and aggressive animals;
- Not used for long-term wear;
- Does not exclude the possibility for the dog to pick up food from the ground.
It is important: if the dog is aggressive or inadequate, then you should refuse to purchase such a model. The risk of an animal tearing such a product is too great.
Metal muzzle mesh
A very popular model among owners of medium and large animals. Represents metal rods, intertwined like a basket. Found its application in the southern regions and the middle lane.
Its advantages include:
- Good ventilation, which is of paramount importance in hot climates;
- Reliable fixation of the dog’s muzzle, which ensures maximum safety of others;
- Inability to pick up something from the ground;
- Possibility to drink water;
- Long service life.
We should not forget about the disadvantages of this model:
- In the winter season, there is a high risk of injuring the lips and nose of the pet on the cold mesh;
- Impressive weight compared to other models. It is achieved through the use of metal rods;
- Metal models are used for medium to large dogs. On the shelves, sometimes there are products for representatives of smaller breeds, but they have not found widespread use.
Muzzle loop (halter)
This model can only be used for short-term fixation of the animal. Experts point out that a prerequisite is the presence of the owner in the immediate vicinity of the pet.
An unreliable product that a dog can take off at any time. The advantages include low weight, affordable price and compact size.
You may also be interested in our articles: Dog leash. What are they and which one to choose? and Choosing a collar for a dog. Owner Tips
Which muzzle to choose
Experts recommend purchasing multiple muzzle models. Using this item of ammunition allows you to:
- Train your pet to wear a muzzle. Products made of nylon and plastic do this task well;
- Walk with your pet in public places or move in transport. Finding an animal without a muzzle in crowded places is unacceptable. Therefore, for a calm pet, a nylon or plastic option is suitable. And for more aggressive individuals, a leather or metal muzzle will become indispensable;
- A metal or leather product is also suitable for ensuring the safety of others. So, a trip to a veterinarian, associated with painful medical manipulations, is best done with a dog in a muzzle;
- For a safe walk. Many pets have a bad habit of picking up food leftovers or other little edible items from the ground. A metal mesh, leather or plastic muzzle excludes the possibility of developing this unpleasant habit;
- For regular walks without conflicts with others, the risk for the pet to pick up something from the ground, etc. in this case, a leather or metal muzzle will become indispensable. If you are not in the habit of “vacuuming” the ground in search of food, you can use a nylon counterpart.
It is important: if the owner cannot independently determine which version of the muzzle for his pet will become universal, then you should seek help from specialists. You can visit a club, dog show or consult a veterinarian. You will certainly be assisted in choosing the right model for each dog.
How to choose the size of the muzzle
To get the perfect muzzle, dog handlers recommend measuring:
- Circumference of the muzzle;
- Length of the muzzle;
- The distance from the tip of the nose to the point of attachment of the fastener of the product.
Use the help of store staff to choose the most suitable model. It is also worth agreeing on the possibility of replacing the muzzle if it turns out at home that it did not fit the animal.
It is important: in order not to be mistaken with the size and choose the most comfortable option for your own dog, dog handlers recommend taking the dog with you. This will make it possible to try on several types of products and choose one. Which delivers a minimum of inconvenience.