Dog in distress
Burns in dogs

Poisoning in the dog

Who gets sick?

Poisoning often occurs in dogs that are unsupervised and have access to potential sources of danger, such as garbage cans, industrial areas, auto repair shops, pesticides or medicines. But even when walking on a leash, poison can be absorbed if it involves attractive substances such as rat poison bait.

How do you recognize it?

The appearance depends on the particular material absorbed and is accordingly varied. Possible alarm signs are tremors, salivation, restlessness, movement disorders, vomiting, diarrhea and shortness of breath with a tendency to worsen.

What should I do?

If the substance has only recently been absorbed, the vet may induce vomiting through a syringe. If necessary, a sample of the poison should be brought along. If the poison has been ingested several hours ago, the vet will try to stabilize the patient or administer an antidote if there is one.

How can you prevent?

Keep medication, tobacco, solvents, household cleaners, etc. well closed, do not let the dog run free on dangerous terrain, for example in the vicinity of industry or sprayed fields, and get it used to absorbing the unknown at an early stage.

Read also:  Acute liver disease in the dog