These foods are toxic to dogs

Halloween: avoid stress for the dog
31.03.2021
Poison bait: how to protect your dog
31.03.2021

These foods are toxic to dogs

Many dog ​​owners love to share their meal with their dog. However, caution is advised: the dog cannot digest every food we can eat without any problems. There are many foods that must not get into the dog’s stomach under any circumstances. The following foods can be toxic or even fatal to dogs.

Dogs are never allowed to drink coffee

Coffee is poisonous for dogs: methylxanthine, an ingredient in caffeine, affects the dog’s nervous system and can even lead to death. Seizures, tremors, restlessness and overheating, as well as diarrhea, vomiting and cardiac arrhythmias, can all indicate that the dog has been poisoned by coffee.

Chocolate is toxic to dogs

Highly coveted by us – absolutely taboo for dogs! The theobromine contained in cocoa is poisonous for our four-legged friends. A dog that has eaten chocolate will often experience restlessness, diarrhea, vomiting, and a high heart rate. In an emergency, seizures and even respiratory failure can occur. Especially in puppies and small dog breeds, even small amounts can be life-threatening.

Chocolate can be dangerous. © adobestock.com/Sonja

Never give your dog raw beans

When cooked, beans are safe for your dog. However, they must not be consumed raw: the phasin toxin is highly toxic in its raw state. Phasin ensures that the red blood cells in the dog’s blood stick together. The result: Affected dogs suffer from liver swelling, fever and abdominal cramps.

Your dog does not tolerate onions

The sulfuric acid contained in onions destroys the red blood cells in the dog’s body. If a dog eats onions, it can be dangerous: diarrhea, bloody urine, vomiting and an accelerated heart and breathing rate are the result. Onions are toxic to dogs from five to ten grams per kilogram of body weight.

Read also:  Feeding rules for dogs

Garlic, wild garlic and chives are dangerous for dogs

When consuming garlic, wild garlic and chives, the hemoglobin of the red blood cells is destroyed – the dog then suffers from anemia. How strong the poison works depends on the dog’s weight. Symptoms are similar to those of onion poisoning.

This is what makes poultry bones so dangerous to dogs

It is better not to give your dog poultry bones, because they are doubly dangerous: Poultry bones splinter easily, which is why they can injure the dog’s mouth, throat or stomach. Also, constant bone-feeding can lead to constipation in your dog.

Special chew bones are a better alternative to poultry bones. © adobestock.com/chalabala

Alcohol is absolutely not for dogs

Alcohol is a cell poison and therefore highly toxic for dogs. Vomiting, seizures, and shortness of breath are typical symptoms of alcohol poisoning in dogs. Dogs that come in contact with alcohol can suffer from chronic liver and kidney damage.

Grapes and raisins are poisonous to dogs

Raisins and grapes contain oxalic acid – it can cause acute kidney failure in dogs, which can also be fatal. Dogs that have ingested grapes or raisins often appear lethargic and vomit.

Avocados are not dog food

Avocaods contain persin, which can cause diarrhea and vomiting in dogs. In addition, you should definitely refrain from offering the large avocado core as a dog toy: your dog can choke on it!

So think carefully about what scraps of food you can really safely leave your dog with. Important: Provide your four-legged friend with sufficient species-appropriate dog food so that it stays fit and healthy.

Read also:  Light food for dogs when vomiting

Sugar alternative xylitol is highly toxic to dogs

Many dog ​​owners do not know that the sugar alternative xylitol or xylitol is highly toxic for dogs. About 10 to 30 minutes after the dog ingests the substance, there will be an excessive release of insulin and a drop in blood sugar levels, which is life-threatening. Even the smallest amount of xylitol (0.1 g per kilo of dog’s body weight) is enough to cause symptoms of poisoning in the dog.

Therefore, make absolutely sure that the dog cannot get to food that contains xylitol. This can be chewing gum, but also cakes, cookies, etc.